Birmingham is the largest city in the state of Alabama. With more than 1.1 million people in the metropolitan area, Birmingham is the cultural and economic heart of Alabama. Visitors find a pleasant green city of ridges and valleys, with many attractive views and friendly, hospitable people.
The City of Birmingham is relatively young. Founded in 1871 at the crossing of two railroad lines, it soon became known for its iron and steel industries. Named for England's giant industrial city, Birmingham became a commercial hub as well, and today it is one of the top five banking cities in the US.
"The Magic City" became known as a thriving and quickly growing community in what had once been a "poor, insignificant Southern village." Sloss Furnaces, a preserved iron mill with 1920s blast furnaces, commemorates this side of the city's heritage.
The Civil Rights era of the 1960s left lasting impressions of racial conflict, police dogs and fire hoses turned on nonviolent protesters, and the bombing of homes and churches. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "Letter from the Birmingham Jail" became one of the great statements of the nonviolent movement for racial justice in America. The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute and places of reflections such as Kelly Ingram Park symbolize the healing process from within and present a much different picture of a transformed city.
* Alabama Men's Hall of Fame, 800 Lakeshore Drive.
* Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame, 1631 Fourth Avenue North.
* Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, 2150 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N.
* Arlington Antebellum Home and Gardens, 331 Cotton Ave SW.
* Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum and Motorsports Park, 6030 Barber Motorsports Pkwy.
* Birmingham Botanical Gardens, 2612 Lane Park Rd.
* Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, 520 16th Street North.
* Birmingham Museum of Art, 2000 8th Avenue North.
* Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark, 20 32nd Street North.
* Southern Museum of Flight, 4343 73rd St N.
* Vulcan Statue and Museum, 1701 Valley View Drive.
>City(s) = ; State(s) = AL; Country = USA.
>Title = Birmingham(Vulcan,Sloss and City), AL, US - Video.
>Keywords = Birmingham, AL, US, Vulcan, Statue, and, Museum, Alabama, iron, steel, industries, The, Magic, City, Sloss, Furnaces, National, Historic, Landmark, Civil, Rights, era, 1960, Martin, Luther, King, Jr, Jail, Kelly, Ingram, Park, Men, Hall, of, Fame, Jazz, Sports, ourtripvideos, our, trip, videos, crlapindfrn